Monday, December 2, 2013

My Birthday in Chicago

             Austin and I celebrated my birthday this year by heading down to Chicago to see a matinee showing of "Wicked" at the Oriental Theater. I saw it in LA several years ago, and this production was far superior! The theater itself takes your breath away as you walk in. There is a plethora of golden sculptures surrounding the stage. The meticulous detail in the carvings and artwork makes you feel as though you are in an art museum or ancient oriental building. It is stunning! 

            I couldn't have been more impressed with the cast for the show. Glinda the good witch had a flawless and truly memorable performance and brought a refreshing peppy twist to her character. Elphaba sounded just like the recording, only she took plenty of artistic liberties to jazz up her solos. Fiero sounded even better than the recording and was perfect for the part. I really couldn't have been more impressed with the show. It's a thought-provoking and moving story, and the music is simply fabulous! I'm so happy that I could go with Austin. Although he normally isn't a big fan of musicals, he really enjoyed this one.




           After the show, we were able to grab a bite to eat at a little bakery in downtown Chicago. It was a cozy little place, and I thoroughly enjoyed sipping my tomato basil soup (pregnancy craving), while looking out the window at the Christmas lights and people scurrying through the city. 

          Austin brought me to the giant Macys in Chicago, which has about eight or nine floors. I was able to find some comfy slippers and maternity pajamas, which I love. Many thanks to those who helped make this trip possible. It was such a wonderful birthday!





1 comment:

  1. I loved loved loved WICKED too. I'm so glad you had a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete